Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hiatus...I'm aloud so shoosh!

I'm back!! I took a hiatus over the summer and have finally been able to get back to voicing my opinion. I'm old, I'm aloud so shoosh!

My wife and I took some much needed time off together and spent most of our summer doing fun things together. By far the best part of my time away was our trip to Oregon. We took a train for the very first time! Choo-Chooooo!! I highly recommend this mode of travel. Forget airplanes or driving, take a train! Sure you have to plan a couple of extra days into your trip for the travel, but it is sooooo worth it! We got what's callled a roomette for the L.A. to Oregon leg of our journey and it is something everyone should do. A roomette is a very small room with two seats that face each other and a collapsible table in the middle. There is closet that is THE smallest closet I've ever seen! you can hang two, maybe three, coats in it and that's it! There is some elbow room to put a carry-on or two, and that's it. For sleeping arrangements, there is a fold down upper bunk and the two seats slide together to form a lower bunk. When the bunks are made, you have a 2 foot by 1 foot space to stand in, and that's all. Cramped, but comfortable. The price for two people is under 1000 dollars and it includes the following: a steward, who sees to your every need, including extra pillows and towels! The steward also comes to your roomette a couple of hours before each meal to get your dining reservation (and you have to have reservations, or the wait time is killer!) All meals are included in the price. For the roomette there is a hallway bathroom and shower, which is never busy. And, the best part of all; no driving! The price also includes a dining car that only those in the sleeper cars have access too that offers a $5.00 wine tasting every afternoon, a theater with a choice of two movies, and a library/game area. The coach passengers have no access to any of these things. Then of course you have acess to the coach areas with the regular dining car and the observation lounge and snack bar.

It's a very peaceful journey. Next year, we are going to get an actual room, which has more space and it's own bathroom. That'll be nice. All-in-all, I highly recommend train travel. You get to your destination so much more relaxed and without having to put any effort into it while being waited on!

So that's part of where I was the last few months. I've also been working pretty hard and spending a lot of quality time with friends and family. Now I'm back; back to writing and back to gaming and just plain back!

No comments: