Friday, April 4, 2008

Friendship

So I'm sitting here at work and I'm noticing the empty space behind me. A space where a dear friend of mine used to sit. He moved on to a better paying job with full time benefits, which he really needed to do because he was getting no love here in that direction, but it still leaves me with an empty space at my back instead of the friend I had come to rely on. I knew I was going to miss him, but, until today, I didn't realize how much. Of all the people in the office, he was the one I related to the most and looked forward to seeing each day.

In the process of feeling sad that he is no longer around, I came to an epiphany. Friendship has no distance, no time, and no space limititations. I may miss my friend, but we are still friends. That, really, is all that matters, and, because that's all that matters it does take the sting out of his abscence. I won't get to see his sleepy or smiling face each day anymore, but, because of some mutual hobbies and interests, I'll still get to talk to him and hear him laugh from time to time. That's what really brought me to realize what friendship is really about. It's about the links people create with each other and about the experiences they still share whether or not they are in close proximity of each other.

When the ephiphany hit, I slapped myself in the head because my best friend John and I no longer live near each other, but we still talk ALL the time. We've been friends for almost 20 years now. Obviously, distance be damned! I'm still as much a part of his life now as when I lived near him and he is still just as much a part of my life. We also have a special link that I think is wonderful. If we go for any length of time without talking, when we do talk, it's as if no time passed. We pick up right where we left off. I know that he does not judge me, but accepts me as I am, and that's what friendship is all about.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that statement is true for all of my friends. Whether or not I see them all the time has no bearing on our friendships. They are still my friends. So Casey, no matter the distance, you are still my friend and always will be. I wish you the best of luck in your new job and I hope that you will find what you are looking for. In the meantime, I will talk to you by text and see you on WoW!! Peace!!!

3 comments:

Casey said...

damn, your getting me all chocked up. Actuall yit was really hard on my last day leaving. I did get chocked up. But like oyu said, we're still friends. Nothing has changed that.

I'll still talk to you on wow!

sosee24 said...

OOOOooo... how cute... you boys really do love each other after all! I've always been suspicious!

MK said...

Hehehe!